Instructions After Extractions
- Place cold towels or an ice bag to your face for the first 6-8 hours. Apply for 15 minutes, then remove for 15 minutes.
- Do not rinse mouth until the following day.
- On the morning following surgery, rinse mouth with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon salt to a glass of warm water). Repeat this several times daily.
- Keep fingers and tongue away form socket because you do not want to dislodge the blood clot.
- BLEEDING- It is normal for saliva to be slightly streaked with blood for 1-2 days. If abnormal bleeding occurs, place moist gauze over extraction site and bite down for 30-45 minutes.
- Following dental surgery it is normal to experience some discomfort. If medication has been prescribed, take as instructed.
- SWELLING & STIFFNESS – it is normal and should not cause alarm. Apply cold towels or ice bag for 15 minutes of each hour as needed.
- DIET – A liquid or soft diet is advisable during the first 24 hours. Drink lots of fluids.
- Return to the office if undue symptoms develop.
- Do not spit, suck on hard candies, or drink through a straw.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco because it slows down the healing process
Please follow home care instructions carefully and call the office if you have any questions or concerns.